[vorbis] Invalid parameters for bitrate

JoSH Lehan vorbis at krellan.com
Sun Mar 10 19:56:37 PST 2002

Hi!  I'm very impressed with the progress Ogg Vorbis has made, ever since
getting that T-shirt at LinuxWorld Expo :-)

Using oggenc, I've run into a problem, though:

"Mode initialisation failed: invalid parameters for bitrate"

This happens when 2 conditions are true: 1) the input file has a sampling
rate less than 44100, and 2) the -M parameter is used to specify a maximum
bitrate.

If the input file has a sampling rate of 44100, this problem does not
happen, and I can use the -M parameter to lower the maximum bitrate all the
way down to 4 kbps (which is almost unintelligible).

My goal is to use Ogg Vorbis to make files that have such a small bitrate
that they can be streamed over a modem.  Under older versions of Ogg
Vorbis, I used to be able to do the hack of lowering the sampling rate of
my input file, until I got an output of the size I wanted.  Now, it seems I
can't do this: even at -q 0, the size of the file seems to be too much (it
stays at around 64 kbps, no matter what sampling rate is used).

Does anyone have a workaround that will solve this problem, and that will
allow -M to work even when the input file is not 44100?

Thanks!
Josh (Krellan)