[vorbis] Ogg too good?

Wilson defiler at null.net
Tue Mar 5 21:24:53 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Vandegrift" <ross at willow.seitz.com>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] Ogg too good?

80kbps.
> > I'd be happy to listen to a stream that sounded this good.
> > I usually use q7, myself.
>
> I'm curious - I haven't really given rc3 the run-through that it
> deserves.  Actually, I haven't even encoded anything since rc3 came out.
> With rc2, I found that I was almost always happy with -b 256.  What's
> -q7 give you as an average bitrate?

Done encoding file "07 - Apocalyptica - Wherever I May Roam.ogg"

        File length:  6m 09.0s
        Elapsed time: 0m 57.0s
        Rate:         6.4854
        Average bitrate: 222.3 kb/s

> difference between originals and compressed - listen for
> high-frequency noise.  When compressed it almost always sounds
> "digitized".  Don't think that means that Ogg doesn't rock - it only
> ever hits my attention when I'm listening for it.

Well, there's a reason they call it "lossy" compression. :)
I just went to an awesome orchestral performance tonight. $9 for a ticket,
two hours of audio that puts even the best system to shame. Makes me wonder
why I buy CDs, when I could be buying tickets to live shows?
Why do I mention this? Just to point out that little speakers playing lossy
audio are never going to match the real thing. For me, q7 sounds good enough
to make me happy.
It does take too long to encode, though. The Oggenc output I pasted above
came from an Athlon XP at 1667MHz. It seems like RC2 was faster, but I may
just be imagining that.