[vorbis] Ogg too good?

Colin Dooley colin at artlum.com
Tue Mar 5 19:05:19 PST 2002

I'm just encoding some files with the latest ogg and it's
too good. I tried encoding things at q1 just to see what
happened and I couldn't hear the differencee between the
ogg and the original files.

Maybe it was the type of music I was encoding or limitations
in my listening equipment or something but it seems pointless
to have a scale from one to ten and have most of it unused.
Seriously... this is a real problem. What if I *want* mediocre
quality, eg. for downloads where I don't want people to have
the full quality version of a song?

Also, I think MP3 people will feel cheated if they never need
use a higher quality level than two or three.

So please, please, let's have worse quality. It's psychological
and maybe silly, but I think q1 should sound a *little* bit bad.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \