[vorbis] Re: MP3 to OGG conversion

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Fri Jun 28 20:48:19 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:13:07PM +1200, Ross Levis wrote:
> EdB wrote:
>
> >I'm currently sharing over 1900 oggs on LimeWire, older versions of
> >which seemed to have turned up better ogg search results.  Is there a
> >better place for sharing/searching these days?
>
> Kazaa & Grokster uses the only other decent P2P network.  However, the
> Gnutella network may be the only one to survive the RIAA.  XoloX is a
> new Gnutella client which looks promising.

Avoid Kazaa if possible -- it bundles with lots of free spyware, some
of which installs regardless of installer settings (the defaults put a
huge pile of junk on your computer). Morpheus is apparently
clean. Clean out Kazaa installed junk with (a) Add/Remove Programs and
(b) AdAware. I don't know what Grokster's spyware status is.

In addition to those mentioned above, check out giFT
(gift.sf.net). They were orignially a FastTrack
(Kazaa/Morpheus/Grokster network) client, but broke off from that when
FastTrack changed the encryption and started their own network using
their free software. I don't know the status of the network, but if a
bunch of Vorbis people join it and share good-quality Oggs, it likely
would become the primary Ogg trading network. Go get clients (I think
win32 is available now), contribute code, and let's make it work.

Good luck, all!

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."