[vorbis] Re: MP3 to OGG conversion

John Denton dentons at onetel.net.uk
Wed Jun 26 03:03:44 PDT 2002

'Scuse me jumping in late - I've been busy :-)
Recipe for chocolate cake (Windows users)..

Some of our members seem a bit blinkered - there are reasons to convert mp3s
to oggs, given that some of our mp3s are showing their age, were constructed
when we were new to the subject, date from a time when we didn't have the
space (or things like CDRW) to keep the wavs, didn't have the tools to tweak
the tracks a bit and that Ogg is our current choice of encoder. Also the
fact that if you have an mp3 that you have encoded on your machine you have
probably committed a crime :-)

I had a lot of MP3s ripped from vinyl a long time ago.. What a performance
that was - I recall having one corner of the deck tipped up by as much as 2
inches on occasion, to avoid a particular skip; moistening the vinyl to try
to reduce scratch and all sorts of similar wheezes. It was always favourite
tracks that are really scratched - and I thought I'd been good to my vinyl.

It was early days and I just didn't have the wherewithall to keep the
resulting wavs. But I have no wish to go through that performance again.

A week or two ago I loaded some of the MP3s into Soundprobe2
(www.soundprobe.com/), normalised the volume to 65% (not done on mp3s),
added 220% 'Brighten and Smooth', normalised volume again and saved them as
Oggs - just a few minutes per track. I don't  have a golden ear, but they
sound better than the old MP3s to me.. More recently I've taken to saving
the mp3s back as wavs for archiving (as Ape) and put more work into reducing
hiss, pops and such before re-encoding as Ogg with my version of the encoder
which allows full tagging, gives me more control of quality and includes
ReplayGain. Subjectively, I think the Oggs (-q5) sound better than the
original vinyl - played on my current equipment!

If Soundprobe just had a scratch filter - seems to have everything else..