[vorbis] (Un)Usefulness of Vorbisgain?

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Mon Jun 24 20:18:25 PDT 2002

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:25, David Tenser wrote:
> Moritz Grimm wrote:

> I'm using a Sound Blaster Live 1024 card. Don't ask me if it's good or
> bad...

They're ok. Way better noisefloor than previous Creative Labs efforts and
things like Ensoniqs. Probably no worse than most mid-fi gear.

> Anyway, every decibel makes a difference. The soundcard is
> definitely the weak link in the sound chain, and if I have to turn the
> signal down even more with Reply Gain, I can might as well raise/lower
> the volume knob whenever a song is louder/quiteter than the others.

You're talking about all of 1.5 bits of resolution for a -10db replaygain,
and if most of your music is rock, use the preamp option to add +6db to
even it back up.

If you're really concerned about the noise floor, use a digital output into a
good D/A or use a USB sound device.

John