[vorbis] (Un)Usefulness of Vorbisgain?

Peter G. PeterNOSPAMPedal2100 at gmx.net
Sun Jun 23 14:11:05 PDT 2002

At 17:09 23-06-02 +0200, you wrote:
>I've just Replaygained several of my Vorbis albums with Vorbisgain, ranging
> >from 80's metal to present day soft rock. What I don't understand is why
> does
>Vorbisgain actually make all tracks QUIETER? I see an average of -7db on
>most albums. And after that, not only are they substantially quieter than my
>MP3s (which is a pain), but it also fails to really "even out" the volume.  I
>understand that a 1984 metal album is naturally going to be quieter than 1995
>punk rock, but I was expecting at least a little change through Vorbisgain.
>
>Does anyone who uses VG actually get much out of using it?

(Windows user here)

Sure do. Use Vorbisgain for my oggs, MP#gain for my Mp3's and sometimes
Mathias' DSP-Replaygain-plugin for winamp (when my ancient comp isn't too
burdened by other tasks)

In my experience it works perfectly. It need to lower the general overall
RMS volume in order to allow the dynamic range from (usually older) better
recordings than newer compressed recordings to be preserved. It's explained
in detail on http://www.replaygain.org

Both my mp3, ogg and mpc files have an (almost) uniform playback level when
using radiogain and it makes for quite a pleasant listening experience.
Yes, the general volume level is lower, but that can be changed by raising
the volume. And since the files have the same playback level I have no
songs suddenly blasting out at different level than others.

Adress is not munged.