[vorbis] When will quality increase be unnoticable?

Øyvind Stegard oyvind.stegard at bluezone.no
Fri Jun 21 09:38:42 PDT 2002

ndrw mchl grnbrg wrote:

>yvind Stegard <oyvind.stegard at bluezone.no> wrote:
>:
>: 1. I agree that improving quality makes it possible to reduce data
>: amount even more, but I think only up to a certain point.. The original
>: audio is lost no matter what, and to a great extent at low bitrates.How
>: can mathematics really guess/calculate the original sound that well, in
>: the end, with so little to work with ? Perhaps much can be
>: reconstructed, but I think that there must be a limit on how much you
>: are able to get back, somewhere, when the bitrate gets really low(a
>: philosophical thought perhaps)... I admit though, that one should be
>: careful predicting how technology will develop.
>
>Your psychological connection between size and quality is a problem. A
>FLAC file 65% of the size of a WAV file is still lossless, for example.

Well, after reading some articles and input from this discussion, I've
gained more knowledge and changed a few of my views on things ;)
Ogg vorbis is, no matter what, the best out there, I'm really glad it's
here ! Hope it will kick ass in the future and become a real standard.
Also looking forward to final release.

Does anyone know of any portable Ogg Vorbisplayers yet, or is it likely
these won't emerge until OGG Vorbis 1.0 is released ?