[vorbis] When will quality increase be unnoticable?

Luke Usherwood Luke.Usherwood at clear.net.nz
Fri Jun 21 07:17:55 PDT 2002

 > Xing sucks even at bitrates like 256 or 320 kbps (VBR or CBR, it doesn't
 > matter). Lots of pre-echo and high frequencies (>16kHz) are totally
 > screwed up... yuck. Some thing goes for Blade.

I was attracted to Xing because on my old PC I could rip & encode simultaneously at 8x.  A fast encoder was important, because if my CD-reader was delayed at all, it would loose sync on the track and sometimes caused clicking artefacts.  Just writing large WAV files to the hard-drive was sometimes enough to delay the CD-reader.

On my new PC I can rip and encode simultaneously to OGG at 5-6x (Althlon 1600).  This is fast enough for me, as my DVD reader seems to be fine at not skipping when it is delayed.  I'm still keen to see what performance improvments can be made to Vorbis encoding before v1.0 though.

-Luke