[vorbis] When will quality increase be unnoticable?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jun 21 05:12:48 PDT 2002

Luke Usherwood wrote:
> >>huh?  does something change between 4.99 and 5?
> Right... so 4.99 and below is like the "joint-stereo" in MP3 terms, while 5 and above is pure stereo encoding  (?)

Vorbis never encodes a stereo file as two mono streams, it's always
coupled (one channel and the difference to the second). Below -q 5,
stereo information also gets thrown away to make room for more "sample
quality" if you want to see it that way. It's noticeable to me on some
tunes, on most it isn't. -q 4.99 averages around 120 to 140 kbps on most
tunes.