[vorbis] streaming ogg audio

TIMMERMANS ANDRE Andre.Timmermans at sbs.be
Thu Jun 27 00:16:09 PDT 2002

Yes but the file duration of an mp3 file is generally easy to determine:
- for non-VBR files you derive a good estimation from the file size
  (from figyu's case I figure it's just winamp downloading files of known size)
  and the bitrate. I have never seen it differ more than a fraction
  of a second for 10-15mins files (the same cannot be said for
  ogg files, I made the test).
- VBR files usually come with a file header which provides
  the duration of the file.

Also Winamp may maintain a copy of the file on disk in which case
it can seek freely within the already downloaded part of the mp3 file,
it could also be done for an ogg file but without the file duration
how is winamp going to display a seek bar.

I think that putting the file duration in the Ogg/Vorbis headers
would be a very useful addition.

André