[vorbis] MP3 to OGG conversion

David Tenser david.tenser at telia.com
Wed Jun 26 10:52:22 PDT 2002

I'm sure you're tired of all the explanations, but let's put this simple:

You can view a wav file as the "original source". A mp3 or ogg file is a
compressed, reduced version of that file. You could compare it with a CD
(the "original source") and a cassette tape copy.

"wav -> ogg" is like "cd -> cassette"
"wav -> mp3" is also like like "cd -> cassette"

thus, "mp3 -> ogg" is like "cd -> cassette -> cassette"

E.g. you loose even more quality when doing the second copy/conversion.

Get it? :)

In other words, it's not very good to convert your mp3:s to ogg, because
they will sound worse than the mp3s. However, making new ogg versions of
your CD collection is a good idea!

/ David