[vorbis] Getting started with vorbisfile_example.c (MS VC 6)

Govind Kharbanda Govind.Kharbanda at sli-institute.ac.uk
Wed Jun 26 08:35:06 PDT 2002

Hello

Hope you don't mind another newbie's question.

Further to GIE's email about problems compiling decoder_example.c example
(MS VC 7) using debug static ogg/vorbis libs, we'd appreciate any help
getting the example files to compile on MS VC 6.

The zip files we have downloaded are:

libao-0.8.2.zip
libogg-1.0rc3.zip
libvorbis-1.0rc3.zip
vorbis-sdk-1.0rc3.zip
vorbis-tools-1.0rc3.zip

from http://www.vorbis.com/download_win.psp

Are these the right files?

We extracted the sdk ZIP file to give the Win32 SDK and have tried to
compile vorbis-sdk-1.0rc3/examples/vorbis/vorbisfile_example.c  However,
this requires the codec.h and vorbisfile.h headers and the corresponding
object files.  We have spent a couple of days trying to get the example to
work (and also studying the makefiles) but no success.

We are also new to MS VC6 (having only used GNU on Unix before) and so also
don't know if we're creating the project correctly.  If anybody could give
us step by step instructions from firing up Microsoft Visual C++ right up to
compiling decoder_example.c, we'd really appreciate it as we're very new to
this compiler and source code.

Cheers
Govind