[vorbis] Re: MP3 to OGG conversion

Robert Cole robert at support4linux.com
Tue Jun 25 23:22:38 PDT 2002

ok. :) I get it. :) I figured there was some technical reason. My reason
for this was much less technical. It's more along the lines of what
Moritz mentioned someone else desired as far as dealing/supporting only
one format. As stupid as that might sound... :)

Maybe one way ogg could be pushed more is if CD rippers defaulted to
encoding to ogg. Maybe even some that "ship" with only being able to
handle ogg and wav formats by default and a person having to get an mp3
plug-in if they wanted to deal with that format. Right now it tends to
be the other way around with apps dealing with mp3 and wav and having to
add a plug-in to deal with ogg.

But I wonder if an encoder could be made to simply (famous last words...
:) ) not try to compress the data again if it sees it's mp3 format and
only doing what's needed to make it an ogg file. Not sure if that's
clear enough... That make any sense? :)

I was just thinking browsing around gnutella that if someone saw more
ogg extensions instead of mp3 that they might go hunting for an ogg
plug-in, apps, etc. Would generate more interest I would think. I mean
sure I could put everything I do out as ogg but that wouldn't even make
a dent in visibility. I just thought that if it was easy for someone to
zap their existing collection to ogg then visibility would dramatically
increase or at least could.

As someone pointed out in response to my first post why would someone
convert their mp3's to ogg? Even if they had all the sources in which to
do that it could be a HUGE undertaking even if they wanted badly to
support the ogg movement. It would be time prohibitive. But if they
could simply run a command line util that zapped everything mp3 to ogg
and recursively thru an entire directory tree then the effects could be
felt throughout the world (if said people converted of course).

Again as someone pointed out why bother converting to ogg format? But
unfortunately you could also say why bother with ogg? If you think of it
from a pure user standpoint there really isn't enough benefit to bother
(yet). Why would joe user bother spending the time to hunt down an ogg
plug-in when they don't even see the format being used? From a developer
standpoint I have read and understand that but who are the developers
writing code for? End users. It's end users that need to see the format
out there and this means windoze users as well as unix/linux users (oh
and I suppose macs too :-) ).

If someone has a collection of say 50,000 mp3's and for argument's sake
lets say they have the sources of those mp3's too there is of course no
current reason to convert them all to ogg even if they wanted to so said
person keeps happily using mp3 tools and the format because as an end
user they have no incentive. How do we address that?

I will admin I haven't yet run a search thru the archives for threads
pertaining to advocacy but I will. Even though I'm a layman when it
comes to this stuff I've been watching ogg since it's inception, the
good and the bad of it (bad referring to developer comments relating to
the core library licensing issues and such). But nothing I've seen in
the outside world (outside these mailing lists) have shown much progress
and I think it relates to not enough user visibility.

Visibility could be dramatically increased if a mp3 to ogg conversion
were possible. Of course that's only one way. Getting large sites and
radio stations to use it is another of course but the quickest and most
visible would come from zapping existing music to ogg.

Robert