[vorbis] (Un)Usefulness of Vorbisgain?

Phaedras at gmx.net Phaedras at gmx.net
Sun Jun 23 08:09:31 PDT 2002

I've just Replaygained several of my Vorbis albums with Vorbisgain, ranging
from 80's metal to present day soft rock. What I don't understand is why does
Vorbisgain actually make all tracks QUIETER? I see an average of -7db on
most albums. And after that, not only are they substantially quieter than my
MP3s (which is a pain), but it also fails to really "even out" the volume.  I
understand that a 1984 metal album is naturally going to be quieter than 1995
punk rock, but I was expecting at least a little change through Vorbisgain.

Does anyone who uses VG actually get much out of using it?

http://www.gmx.net