[vorbis] Normalising songs

Nicola Larosa nico at tekNico.net
Thu Jul 25 15:30:17 PDT 2002

 > It lets you hear the quiet spots in a track without having the volume up
 > so high you break things on the loud bits (which is why radio use it).
 > There's probably a plugin for FreeAmp or WinAmp to do that.

I always wonder why there's not a limiter in every music playing piece of
equipment these days, it's trivial (i.e. cheap) to implement, even with
analog circuitry.

I realize that most "modern" music is already compressed on disc, and even
more so on the radio, but there is a sizable amount of nice music, and not
only classical, that thankfully retains some dynamic variation.

But it is often the case that one would like to listen to such music at a
low level, or in a noisy environment (cars, portable players), and a
built-in compressor would be a godsend, much more useful than those "bass
boost" switches.

Is that a concept with null marketing value, or there's some other problem I
don't see?

--
"Oddly enough, Python's use of whitespace stopped
feeling unnatural after about twenty minutes."

Nicola Larosa - nico at tekNico.net