[vorbis] quality question?

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Thu Jul 25 00:17:57 PDT 2002

> Ok. Now I have a general feel for doing this. I'll probably
> re-encode from source it just takes a fair amount of time
> to rip an entire CD even at 40X.

Check the net for reviews - some drives are a lot faster than others.
When I originally did my CD collection (1996-ish) I saved tens
if not hundreds of hours by buying a $US70 SCSI CDROM that ripped at
>10x with no CPU load, rather than 6x with 100% CPU for my IDE drives
(well, my 2x burner did that, my original 16x CDROM ripped at 1x on
good disks). Situation is slightly better now, but a little investment
of cash might save you a lot of time. Possibly rip to FLAC in a
directory tree (FLAC is not tagged yet AFAIK), then encode using
the tree to generate tags. A 120GB drive will hold a lot of FLACs,
which you can then start encoding and just leave in a corner for a
week or two. Of course, if you keep the FLACs on CD or disk you can
then re-encode at q3 when you get a player that can use them.

Some of the more enthusiastic people I know are talking about IDE
disk arrays and keeping WAVs, since disk is so cheap. If we could
tag FLACs then that approach makes a lot of sense IMO, since
backing up these files is currently tricky (at q7 I have about
40 CDROMs, but the bulk of my collection is not done yet).

Moz