[vorbis] wow! and what about h/w players for vorbis files?

Roger roger_maillist at alltel.net
Sun Jul 14 19:18:25 PDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 22:30, Moz wrote:
> > yup. i agree with dan. haven't researched the facts, but most have a
> > laptop already. it's just not as portable as some of the h/w mp3
> > players.
>
> What I've been doing is converting my ogg's to 64kbit mono mp3 for
> my Diva mp3 player, which gives me about 9 hours music on a 256MB
> compact flash card, at acceptable quality for cheap headphones. Since
> my camera also takes CF, I tend to start trips with both cards full
> of music, listen to the 64MB card out of the camera at the start, and
> steadily delete music files to make room for photos. By the end of
> the trip I'm down to the 32MB in the player, but I have heaps of
> photos of my trip. I cycle tour for several weeks at a time, so
> this is a useful way to go. And it all runs on AA rechargeables.
> (10 hours play off a single cell in the Diva!)

interesting. as i also have a dig cam. but currently, it doesn't do
this. lol.

> I'm mostly concerned that ogg might need more CPU or ROM than most
> players currently have, which might make it hard to build a player
> at the current standard. But I'd be more than willing to put up
> with a mere 5 hours play time off a single AA battery if I could
> play 48kbits ogg files instead of 64kbits mp3.
>
> Moz

mmm. i wouldn't mind paying an extra $1 for ogg compatable stuff...but
>$800 for a kenwood keg (or what not) is just nutz.

i think most, if given the oppurtunity to evaluate between mp3 & ogg,
they would choose ogg (vorbis).

yea..interesting thought...more rom or cpu time. i failed to recognize
this, but it's *gotta* be doable (??)

--
Roger
-----

Verify my pgp/gnupg signature on my HomePage:
http://www.alltel.net/~rogerx/about/index.html