No, I don't think so. Was: [vorbis] Vorbis 1.0 binary - Beta4 still the best?

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at eunet.yu
Sun Jul 14 07:00:18 PDT 2002

"Moritz Grimm" <gtgbr at gmx.net> wrote:

> As far as I can see, the general majority is very happy with the results
> that -q, or even -b settings produce. E.g. I can't hear the difference
> between -q 8.5 or GT2's -b 350 (I might even have loads of trouble
> distinguishing -q 5 from GT2's -b 160). On the other hand, those who CAN
> hear the pre-echo in those quality ranges might mess up things that I
> can hear better by doing something wrong with the advanced settings in
> order to address their problem.
> Another bonus would be that those new presets would be based on 1.0
> code, and not RC2 that had the re-encoding bug, for example.

I'm not sure how feasible that would be, adding more presets and options.
The current -q system is pretty easy and straightforward and since
most people don't use high bitrates anyway I'm not sure if it's worthwhile.
Vorbis is open-source, so if anyone wants to tweak it, go ahead - but
the official version should be more idiot-proof.
I'm currently very satisfied with RC2 -b350 (quality/size).
I spent some time with Garf (throwing clips at him) while he was
tweaking RC2 and I also gave it a lot of testing, so I know this
mode is very high quality. Maybe Garf will also tweak v1.0, we'll see...