[vorbis] RC4/1.0 and peeling

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Thu Jul 11 15:47:10 PDT 2002

> Will oggs created with a 1.0 encoder be peelable
> with an as-yet-unreleased utility?

Yes.  All current oggs (since RC-2 or so) are peelable once the peeler is
created.  Though I seem to remember hearing some rumblings about encoders
being able to "hint" files to allow for better-quality peeling, but I'm not
sure how much of a difference is really being talked about.

As far as I've heard, current oggs peeled to a certain quality will probably
sound comparable to one encoded directly to that quality.  Maybe identical,
but I think that's what the hinting is for.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"We draw people to Christ not by loudly discrediting what they believe, by