[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

Luke Usherwood Luke.Usherwood at clear.net.nz
Wed Jul 10 03:10:55 PDT 2002

At 08:26 10/07/2002 -0100, you wrote:

>Well... it might be true that a shielded power cord
>picks up less noise from the electrical components
>in your system. In this case the last meter is the
>part nearest your equipment. Shielding doesn't cost
>$$$ though, and I'm sure your neighbours washing
>machine will introduce more noise than your amplifier.

To test this, it'd be no good replacing the one cable.  You'd have to install a massive, high voltage, band pass filter on the input of the power coming into your house.  Then you'd have to rip out all the wiring in the walls and replace it all with shielded power cables.

A power source is not a clean signal to start with!  In New Zealand for example, water cylinders in a house are normally kept on a separate circuit.  The power company can send modulated signals down the power line to temporarily shut down water cylinders if the power drain is getting high (E.g. in the middle of the day when there is lots of industry at work).   It's really annoying, because it caused all the florescent lights in my old work to flicker.  I'd always have to stop work for 5 minutes until the pulses stopped.  (strangely, not many people noticed this.)