[vorbis] quality scale 0-10

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Jul 6 02:35:20 PDT 2002

Ross Levis wrote:
> Something to think about: One global quality scale from 0 to 10.  0 =
> resample to 11khz, 8kb/s, through to 10 = original sample rate, high kb/s.

No, definitely not. -q0 should be "lowest possible quality for that
certain kind of input", IMO. I never want any tool to decide things for
me, like resampling and similar. I don't even like lame and other MP3
encoders doing that ... it *should* do that only when presets are being
used. So I'm very happy how Vorbis used to do this, and I don't want
that to change. The ability to choose both, input and quality settings,
gives you another complete set of options on how to tweak a stream for
exactly your needs, for example.