[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Fri Jul 5 06:11:26 PDT 2002

Peter wrote:
> But you're only satisfying audiophiles. -q0 is still much better
> than 64 kbit mp3 for example.

> Even now with RC3 q0 is very good. It's much better than 64 kbit mp3
> for example. Many people are content with 64kbit!

Specifically, what about those of us recording things like voice (or
using a cheap microphone)? For many users (like me), who both record
and play sound, it's going to be more useful to have a scale that
goes:

   audiophile   - current q7 to q10
   hifi         - current q5 to q7
   music        - q3 - q5
   radio or TV  - q1 - q3
   voice        - q0 - q1

You'll note that there's more numbers at the top end, where
audiophiles argue, than at the bottom where people use hand-held
records to put noises onto digital storage.

The question is really about what ogg is for. If it's about recording
music properly, then the current scale more or less works. It runs
from very, very well down to rather badly, which is about right.

If this means having a minidisc recorder type device that has to
implement three or four codecs (one per quality level), I don't think
it's going to happen. Right now it's WAV at the voice end, minidisc in
the middle, ogg on a laptop, then DAT at the top end. Expecting my
Diva MP3 player that records WAV's to suddenly come out with enough
ROM and CPU to do all those standards is a bit optimistic I think, and
I really don't want to carry three sound recorders as well as three
cameras (although one camera does record sound).

Moz