[vorbis] Best quality setting for mp3 transcoded old radio shows

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jul 2 11:48:21 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 06:41:16AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Moritz Grimm (gtgbr at gmx.net) wrote:
>
> > Steve Bergman wrote:
> > >  Basically, my reasons are 'religious' in nature.  But I don't want to
> >
> > Baaah ... isn't there a law somewhere that says "keep religion and
> > technology seperate"? ;P
>
> There's a long tradition of "religion" in technology -- vi vs. emacs,
> Linux vs. BSD, Unix vs. VMS, sendmail vs. qmail/postfix, every window
> manager vs. every other window manager, ....
>
> And last, but not least, Ogg vs. MP3.
>
> So if there's a law, it must be one of those laws that *everyone*
> breaks, like speed limits.

Although offtopic, I have to say he's right :-)

As for religion, we're all glad you have the Ogg flavor of it.
However, the High Priests of Ogg are engineers at heart, and we'll be
the first to tell you that transcoding from mp3 for only religious
resons is misguided.  I, the author of Ogg himself, still have a
sizable portion of my own music collection in mp3 from before Ogg beta
1 happened (Hell, I still have Ogg*Squish* files lying around from
1994).  I replace these tracks as I have opportunity, but I don't
consider it a huge priority.  I just use the newest release (well, OK,
I actually use the latest from whatever CVS branch I'm working on)
when I encode new stuff.

Monty