[vorbis] Best quality setting for mp3 transcoded old radio shows

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Jul 2 00:58:29 PDT 2002

Steve Bergman wrote:
> My question is this.  What is the best quality level (-q) for
> transcoding them.  I want to preserve quality, but I want to be
> sensitive to the many modem based gnutella users.  I also want to to

At those bitrates, MP3 has serious artifacts. Vorbis will try to
preserve them, waste a lot of bits on them and if you want the .ogg to
sound at least almost as "good" as the mp3, the .ogg will be bigger than
the mp3. Don't reencode, just share those MP3s ... Vorbis RC3 can't make
good use of 22050 Hz samples anyways. This will plainly suck. If you
want to do this for the sake of sharing, find something that you can
directly encode to Vorbis, e.g. CD to .ogg.