[vorbis] Ogg/Icecast vs. Real

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Mon Jul 1 01:20:50 PDT 2002

Brent Miller wrote:
> Can OggVorbis handle this type of streaming?

I guess this is not a correct question. Ogg Vorbis is an audio codec,
while what you're talking about is a streaming solution with a streaming
server, client, etc.

> Is this something that the Icecast team is working on or would this
> require a whole different streaming server?

Yes and yes. IceCast currently streams through the HTTP protocol, not
RTPS or any UDP based stuff. It is very unfortunate that there is no
open source RTSP streaming solution. Or I don't know of any, save Apple
Darwing Streaming Server, which uses QuickTime for its codec.

> And, could this be handled by pluggins for XMMS, Winamp, etc., or would
> this require a whole new client to play this type of stream?

Plugins could do the trick.