[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] rehuff [source attached]

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Jul 30 22:31:13 PDT 2002

>Wouldn't it make sense to integrate this functionality into libvorbis(file)?
>When setting a particular flag in the API, the lib would then re-compress
>the output file it just generated during an encoding run. As you indicated
>this would only work when the encoded data was saved to a file -- not
>for other data sinks like an Internet audio stream.

The API has no concept of a file - it doesn't even really have a concept
of data sources/sinks. Would require a completely different API.

>Oh, by the way. Would vorbis support changing the codebooks on the fly
>within a single audio stream? Yeah, with chained streams this is already
>possible -- but what if I encoded a full CD in one stream. Could I still
>change codebooks between individual tracks? Like before a transition from
>classical music to death metal? ;)

You must have all the codebooks in the codebook header packet (packet #3),
but you can (in theory) change which of the defined codebooks you are
using for a particular audio packet at any time.

Michael