[vorbis] What tags are allowed in ogg files?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jul 26 16:20:05 PDT 2002

Anders Thomsen wrote:
> What tags, besides ogg-tags, are allowed in ogg files (if any).
> I'm thinking of id3v1, id3v2, ape tags and so on.

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

As longs as all three Vorbis headers are correct (and they aren't if you
tinker with them in hex editors, unless you also manually adjust the CRC
checksums (good luck :) )), every compliant player will play the .ogg
file - even when you put random data in the beginning or the end of the
file (haven't tried putting stuff from /dev/random in the middle of an
.ogg file, yet ;) ). That means, braindead tags like ID3v* et al simply
get ignored by a sane player. On the other hand, this definitely breaks
the specs, or at least as far as I understand them.

Of course, you're free to do whatever you like, but don't expect fame
and/or appreciation by breaking things. ;P I personally see no point in
throwing restrictive and legacy tags at Ogg Vorbis, or to create things
like .ogm that violates the Ogg specs, in order to have features that
can, and should be implemented correctly.