[vorbis] Is there an oggenc low bit rate HOWTO?

Dparsavand at aol.com Dparsavand at aol.com
Thu Jul 25 19:42:20 PDT 2002

First let me say that I was absolutely astounded at the sound quality
when using oggenc at q = -1 (around 50 kbps).  So much so, that I'm
anxious to try some of the lower bit rates that were mentioned in the
announcement for 1.0:

... audio and music at fixed and variable bitrates from 16 to 128
kbps/channel.

But I am having trouble finding how to use either oggdrop or oggenc to
get these low bit rates.  I'm looking at two applications - compressing
FM talk radio (in stereo - maybe around 32-40 kbps) and a voice
recorder (in mono - perhaps around 16-24 kbps).  For now, the voice
recorder is tied to a laptop - in the future hopefully I can get
smaller hardware for that function (like the Ripflash for mp3).  Any
advice on resampling rates, low pass filter cutoffs, or any other
advanced oggenc tricks would be very welcome.

Thanks Dara Parsavand

(For very low bit rates, I did listen to the speex samples, but these
are too distorted for my tastes.  Since I don't care about low latency
encoding, and I'm not that tight on the bitrate constraints - I'd
rather use oggenc.)