[vorbis] Quality & ripping speed

Shawn core at enodev.com
Thu Jul 25 10:23:25 PDT 2002

I'm running a test right now, and I expect to have encoding speed
results for encoding an entire CD, at quality levels from 0..10 at .5
increments. I'll take the speed at qN for all tracks and average
that, so I will have twenty numbers.

Maybe someone can add results for gcc3.1 compiled vorbis as well?

On 07/25, Moritz Grimm said something like:
> Andrew Shaw wrote:
> > I'm getting 7x on a PIII (encoding from wav). I've noticed that the
> > higher -q value I set, the quicker the encoding. My assumption is
>
> Now that's weird, I have it the other way round on my Athlon TB 1GHz.
> While I get insane speeds like up to 10-13x on the really low quality
> settings, the average encoding time @ -q 5 to -q 6 varies somewhere
> between 4.5x and 5.5x (depends on the song to be encoded). I blame
> Voodoo magic.
>

> Moritz

Shawn Leas
core at enodev.com

I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time".  So
I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
						-- Stephen Wright