[vorbis] quality question?

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Wed Jul 24 23:25:26 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:01, Robert Cole wrote:
> No one has any idea on my question of recompressing ogg files?

If you can tell the difference between -q 7  and anything less, then you may
introduce artifacts you can hear by re-encoding down to -q 7 from -q 9. If
you can't, you might get away with it - try it, and trust your ears. Better
to either re-encode form the original source, or wait out for the coming of
the legendary bit peeling tool, though.

Personally, I like to try ABX tests on a collection of samples, such as the
various tricky ones used for codec testing, and music I'm very familar with.
I try out various quality levels looking for a sweet spot, where I can no
longer distinguish the encoded form from the original, then add about 0.5-1
to account for future improvements in sound gear, ear training, and those
tricky to encode peices that I don't know about yet.

Of course, if you're not fussy about storage size, pick something high, but
bear in mind that the silly bitrates will almost certainly receive some extra
tuning attention in the next 6 to 12 months.

John