[vorbis] quality question?

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Wed Jul 24 23:10:42 PDT 2002

Robert wrote:

> No one has any idea on my question of recompressing ogg files?

Monty claims to be on holiday, and AFAIK the bitrate stripping tools
are a future project. As to whether decoding and re-encoding will
introduce artifacts, I don't know. From Q9->Q7 is not an area I can
perceive artifacts at, and I suspect most of the rest of the list
feels similarly, if past discussions are any guide. My suggestion is
to try it, and if it works for you do it. My feeling is that you will
get extra artifacts compared to redoing the original material, it's
just a question of how much extra work it is.

In other words, I don't know ;-)

Moz