No, I don't think so. Was: [vorbis] Vorbis 1.0 binary - Beta4 still the best?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jul 14 00:50:22 PDT 2002

> BTW, maybe I should say only one more thing. After Aleksandar's late
> night suggestion, I was downloaded so called Garf Tuned RC2 version, and
> I spent some time to test it. My preliminary conclusion is that it is
> like Beta4, that is it has not behavior which have RC2, RC3 and 1.0,
> about I was talking.

This particular mode is indeed very good, but it is also much higher
bitrate than the others you had been listening to.  Garf's GT2
functions at a q level of approximately 8 or 9, where stereo is losslesly
coupled in all Vorbis encoder versions, including rc3, rc4 and 1.0.
The primary difference in Garf's mode is that he allocates a
comparatively huge number of bits to impulse blocks.

Does GT2 sound better to you compared to 1.0's -q8 or -q9?

Monty