No, I don't think so. Was: [vorbis] Vorbis 1.0 binary - Beta4 still the best?

Zvezdan Dimitrijevic zvezdand at anoxsoft.net
Sat Jul 13 07:22:52 PDT 2002

>> What are you listening for in 1.0 that you
>> don't hear in b4?

I said, it is most distinguishable on tin percussion, cymbals, ... but
generally I can notice attenuation of high frequencies. Phase distortion
between channels is also very noticeable.

>> Are you sure you're comparing latest/greatest here?

I downloaded Win binary from link which (I think) Moritz Grimm is
enclosed in message starting this thread. (I am not so surre, because I
am currently writing from home, and previous messages were remained on
my company computer).

But, as I said, same conclusion I have had with official RC2 and RC3
version downloaded from www.vorbis.com site.

>> Can I see a file you're generating for 1.0

Of course. I asserted all the time that my intention is not to make
worthless any effort and hard work, but to help in improving this fine
encoder. I wrote same suggestion when I pointed at same problem with RC3
half year ago.

File compressed with v1.0 is:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/zvezdand/1.ogg

But, I suggest first trying a little test with following 3 files:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/zvezdand/0.flac
http://members.lycos.co.uk/zvezdand/1.flac
http://members.lycos.co.uk/zvezdand/2.flac

One file is original, other is co/decompressed with v1.0 and another is
co/decompressed with B4. I cannot tell you which file is which version,
you should to recognize.

And because you don't believe me, I have similar proposal to test
myself. You can send me your group of about 3 files in Flac format, and
I'll try to recognize which file is v1.0 compressed.

Zvezdan