No, I don't think so. Was: [vorbis] Vorbis 1.0 binary - Beta4 still the best?

Zvezdan Dimitrijevic zvezdand at anoxsoft.net
Fri Jul 12 13:02:23 PDT 2002

>> Zvezdan... forgive me for being blunt, but you're on crack.  b4

I don't really want to start flame about different version of any audio
codec, especially about Vorbis. I already said that I like this format
and I wish its success. I didn't have any decision to inconsiderable
your work, because I think that you are doing a great job, much better
than Fraunhofer along with RCA, Dolby and others. My intention was only
to point out to some weeknes of current version.

>> You're either doing something wrong or you just like the specific
>> coloring of beta4

I want to believe to your technical explanation, because you are author
of this codec, and you sure know about what you are talking. But,
unfortunately my ears tells me different. I did very much blind tests,
and I played alternatively original and compressed songs with different
bitrates (qualities). Songs encoded with the Beta4 I can hardly
differentiate from the original song (on bitrate mentioned in my last
message). But, every song compressed with the RC2, RC3 and now with v1.0
I can recognize that it is different than original.

I repeat: this was blind tests. When I appreciated quality of some songs
I didn't looked which song version is. Also, I should say that I didn't
tested which song coloring is nicer to my taste; I tested which
compressed song sounds more similar to original.

Maybe I should say that I am not a beginner. I have a long experience
with audio technology, analog and now digital, and I have very good
audio equipment. I had audio turntable and after that I have had many
CD players, long time ago before many others in this forum. Also,
probably I was a contact with the computer audio compression before many
others here. And besides my ages, trust me that I have very good
hearing. I don't know, maybe you are all right, but currently I stay
with Beta4 version.

Btw, sorry for my bad English, it is not my natural language.

Zvezdan