[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Tue Jul 9 16:49:54 PDT 2002

Robert Woodcock wrote:

> Skin effect means that electrons only flow on the skin of a conductor - the
> middle sits there doing nothing. It only affects AC current and gets worse
> at higher frequencies.
>
> I would have never guessed that skin effect was even remotely a factor for
> audio frequencies - it's more something covered in ham radio books.

I personally don't think it does have any effect.
Unfortunately it's a real scientific theory and
something that audiophiles can pontificate about.

The audiophile camp is constantly swinging between
solid/stranded cables as being the "best" so I don't
think they can actually hear any difference.

If there *is* a difference I'd be looking much
harder at the connectors used than the actual
cable itself. I'm sure that no connector will
connect equally well to both a solid and
stranded cable (unless you solder it on - which
most connectors don't).

In fact, I'm sure that most connectors will
introduce far more resistance than the actual
cable itself.

> The resistance loss would perhaps attenuate the higher frequencies a little
> bit, but that can be compensated for with any equalizer and calibrated with
> a real-time frequency analyzer.

I'm sure an equalizer will do more damage to the
sound than any cable would.