[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Wed Jul 3 22:32:03 PDT 2002

May I suggest that the up coming RC4 or 1.0 needs some quality selection
adjustments.  It has been said that if you are happy now with a
particular quality setting, later releases will produce the same quality
but reduce the average bitrate.  This is not currently the case.  IMHO
-q4 in CVS is producing almost perfect results and features audio
frequencies up to 21khz -- almost CD quality.  In my opinion -q1
(80kb/s) is producing results similar or better than mp3 at 128.

Why not reduce the nominal bitrate down a couple of steps.  Of course
some additional tuning will be required.
q 0.0 = 48kb/s (13khz lowpass)
q 1.0 = 56     (14khz)
q 2.0 = 64     (15khz)
q 2.5 = 72
q 3.0 = 80
q 4.0 = 96 (default)
q 5.0 = 112
q 6.0 = 128
q 7.0 = 160
q 8.0 = 192
q 9.0 = 256
q 10  = 320

This is still assuming 44.1khz sampling.  I presume 22khz has it's own
table of quality/nominal bitrates.

Just thinking out loud.

Good work Monty.

Ross Levis.