[vorbis] APPLAUD.WAV problems

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Sun Feb 17 15:40:13 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Sweetman" <ed.sweetman at wmich.edu>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 12:08 AM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] APPLAUD.WAV problems

> > not silent, and not absolutely trivial), the bitrate will typically
> > be fairly close to the average
> the average should depend on the complexity of the clip, the -q setting
> should not be setting an abr. I thought we got rid of that abr crap for
> real vbr.

You didn't read what he wrote well enough. Most stuff that is not
real hard or real easy to encode will require an amount of bits that
is fairly constant. Because of that, the bitrate will approach a
certain average.

The encoder isn't trying to get to encode at a certain average bitrate,
but it still does as a natural consequence, just because the music
doesn't prompt any large differences in bitrate.

The encoder (minus the managed bitrate stuff, which is optional)
doesn't have any concept of bitrate whatsoever. And this has always
been true, even though previous versions presented it as if you were
setting an ABR. In reality, you have always been setting a quality
level.

--
GCP