[vorbis] RPM dependency rant

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Wed Feb 13 21:55:50 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Doug McNaught wrote:

> Another nit--the libao RPM won't build because it tries to compile
> against 'arts' by default.  For some really bizarro reason, the
> include file that the arts plugin wants (artsc.h) is not included in
> the stock RH 7.1 (or 7.2) RPM.  At least that's where I assume it
> sbould be.  So with a little spec file hacking, I disabled arts, got
> everything to build, and installed happily.

This bugger is especially annoying.  I've found that most RPM distros package
arts incorrectly.  They put artsc-config in the binary package (which I've
found is the closest thing to a reliable way to determine if arts is
installed) when it should really go into the arts-devel package.  Other
packages that use a *-config script do this, but arts for some reason has been
packaged incorrectly by RedHat and Mandrake.  I filed this as a bug against
both RedHat and Mandrake (and maybe Debian, I can't remember) and RedHat
closed it saying that they would fix it, and Mandrake never responded (and has
since closed their bug database to public access).

The moral of the story is that detecting which libraries installed (including
devel packages) is a major pain.  :)  [Thanks for the report, though.  I'm
open to other solutions if anyone has any.]

---
Stan Seibert