[vorbis] Re: compressed audio tutorial - 2nd draft

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Feb 9 01:36:34 PST 2002

Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> I'm a little concerned about the section about what quality to use: what
> if the user happens to choose an easy to encode track? In theory that
> shouldn't make any difference I guess, but there are types of sound that
> are difficult for lossy formats and that could need a higher quality
> settings to get good enough. Wouldn't it be better to recommend using
> some known problem samples (like applaud, castanets etc.)?

The point in quality settings is that you don't have to care about this.
You get constant quality instead of having to figure out what bitrate to
use for each track. If you chose a quality level where a complex clip
becomes (very) annoying to you, you chose a wrong/too low -q value for
your own ears.

One has to be forgiving at q2 or q3 - some short, rarely happening and
super-complex clips might sounds pretty different from the original even
for untrained ears. This happens very seldom, though, and as long as
it's not *annoying*, there's nothing wrong with it.