[vorbis] default quality settings...

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Feb 6 08:57:54 PST 2002

fungus wrote:
> > Most users aren't audiophiles.  -q5 is overkill.
> So why is it in the middle of the scale?

Because the scale goes from 0 to 10. :)

The point is, people start to talk about numbers again instead of
quality. The actual difference between q6 and q10 is propably the same
like from q0.1 to q4.99 for example - people just can't hear it anymore
in those high regions. Friends with untrained ears find q2 transparent,
so the default of q3 is perfectly valid... especially as it shows Ogg's
strength to those who look at filesizes. q3 definitely sounds as good as
128kbps mp3 (VBR and CBR), at least to me and those I know.