Tag Standard Updated (Re: [vorbis] Quality & Tags)

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Mon Feb 4 19:13:29 PST 2002

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 09:38:14PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > I believe I justified the ENCODING tag as fitting with goal #1 of the
> > proposal.
>
> But you can justify most anything with goal #1, if you read it that way.
> If you read "What I'm listening to" as including "the quality of what
> I'm listening to", it also would seem to include "the words I'm listening
> to" (lyrics), "the meaning of what I'm listening to" (translations), "the
> speed of what I'm listening to" (BPM), and any number of other things that
> don't go in the tags.
>
> Make no mistake--it doesn't particularly matter to me.  (A few extra tags
> in the list makes no difference to me.)  I'm just pointing out that this
> feels a bit inconsistent to me.

By the way, I'll offer a different justification for this tag (that's
not mutually exclusive with yours): it's information that can't be
derived later.  Omitting lyrics or translations is bearable; someone who
"knows" can fill that in later on, possibly with some references
elsewhere.  How it was encoded (and what version of the encoder was
used--vendor) is information *only* known to the original encoder, at
encoding time.  So if we wait for metadata, a large number of files will
never be able to have this information; once lost, it's gone.

--
Glenn Maynard