[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Feb 1 02:47:55 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:39:13PM -0800, David K. Gasaway wrote:
>I'm over at a friend's house.  We're hanging out, relaxing.  He queues up some tunes.  Before
>long, some aweful piece of crap comes up.  With great..ahem...emphasis, I ask him, "WHAT IS
>THIS?"  He replies...
>vendor=Xiphophorus libVorbis I 20011217
>encoding=-q 4.99
>I immediately proceed to *bust a gut*!

Put that way, I busted a gut too.  But you don't always want to know
what you are listening to in the same way.  Sometimes you just want to
know that you have the "real goods"... you want to know if you have some
crap version, or a really good one.

It's like the sourcemedia tag.  I like to know if the track came from
radio, lp, or cd.  That often gives me an indicator of the quality of
the piece.

Jonathan