[vorbis] APPLAUD.WAV problems

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Sun Feb 17 15:27:42 PST 2002

> That's why I said it's probably done by effect and not actual straight
> forward coding it in.

Because there's a minimum and a maximum "complexity" / "entropy" in your
test sample.

> the average should depend on the complexity of the clip,

It does.

> the average should depend on the complexity of the clip, the -q setting
> should not be setting an abr.

It doesn't.

> I thought we got rid of that abr crap for real vbr.

It has never been like that.

> Now assuming there is some low inaudible noise in a silent
> clip, the encoder should be stripping out inaudible information anyway.

How do you know it is inaudible?  You don't know the setting of my volume
knob.

> Again we come to a problem with the psychoacoustic engine again I
> guess.  If things are really that bad then that could explain why
> nothing is getting under certain bitrates at certain quality levels.

*Real* silence will always be a *really* low bitrate.

> can you explain why there are no low bitrates for audio sections that
> require very little information to be encoded to have the quality that
> is designated.

Because a) your assumptions are wrong or b) this makes the _average_
bitrate lower.