[vorbis] OGG lossless?

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Thu Feb 14 10:59:35 PST 2002

Graham Mitchell wrote:
>>That makes a lot of sense to me...one program for everything.
>>

> No!  No!  No!
>
> Don't you see, that's the Microsoft philosophy!

Not really.

In this case the two jobs are *so* similar that it
makes sense to put them together.

If I'd asked for (eg.) video compression to be added
to vorbis than *that* would be Microsoft philosophy
(eg. getting a word processor to edit HTML).

Extending the capabilities of the audio compresser
to add a lossless mode isn't taking things too far
IMHO. Things like LAME already do much more than
this and nobody complains.

> Instead of lots of simple single-purpose tools
 > that do their jobs really well

The mega tool would still only have one purpose,
compression of audio files.

So why don't I go to a command line and type
"wavtoraw myfile.wav | ogg -q3 >myfile.ogg"
when I want to encode a file?

--
<\___/>
/ O O \