[vorbis] OGG lossless?

Kai Gallasch kai at adminhell.org
Thu Feb 14 02:49:04 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:46:21 +0100
"Bostjan" <00 at email.si> wrote:

> Hello,
> I noticed that kbps jumps quite high in -q 10 mode and is nearing
> lossless compressors.
>
> Would it be a difficult task to make OGG a lossless compressor at -q 10?
>
> I don't know much about lossy/lossless compression internal logic, so
> excuse me if my question is out of place. But this would be a really nice
> feature that would make OGG an "all in one" tool.

Now this is a good idea. I have been using OGG and FLAC
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/flac) side by side for some time now.
There was some discussion going on in the flac-devel mailinglist, whether
or not it would make sense if flac would become part of the ogg project..

The whole thread is archived at
http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=flac-dev Search for subject
"FLAC as part of the ogg project?"

At least licensing would not be a problem, as flac AFAIK is also
GPLd/LGPLd.

-Kai.

--

..your fortune-cookie for today:
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls ... if thou art in the