[vorbis] Seeking in a saved stream; or,Why isn't thatsucker valid?

Joel joefor-1 at student.luth.se
Mon Feb 11 16:18:07 PST 2002

>>I realize that I may have unintentionally been misleading you by leaving some information out.  That error report from
ogginfo keeps going, repeating the same 3 errors (as above) over and over again.  It ends after a
stream_truncated=true, not giving a final header_integrity=fail.  (Perhaps because there's not another packet?)  Then it
reports a total playtime of 0.

>Yes, this is ogginfo's normal "argh!" response to any sort of stream
>inconsistency - it gets the rest of the stream completely wrong. Don't
>worry about it. There's no reasons to suspect your stream is damaged in
>any way.
>
>Michael

Ogginfo behaved nice to me :-) At least once. But as stated earlier in this thread it shouldn't be trusted too much.
Just for reference, I saved a streamed ogg and got this:

---------------------------------
E:\>ogginfo radio4.ogg
filename=radio4.ogg

erial=1037942235
header_integrity=pass
vendor=Xiphophorus libVorbis I 20011217
version=0
channels=2
rate=44100
bitrate_upper=none
bitrate_nominal=96016
bitrate_lower=none
stream_integrity=pass
bitrate_average=65
length=182692.561270
playtime=3044:52
stream_truncated=true

total_length=182692.561270
total_playtime=3044:52                           <----------------- what winamp also thinks.

E:\>
----------------------------------

While this looks allright, there appears to be some errors:

Obviously playtime/total lenght is way up. (true time is 1.50)
Average bitrate was reported 96kbps in winamp _when recording_, but 88kbps when playing.
(Filesize is 1 501 963 bytes.)

Seeking causes the track to restart except when seeking to the very end, which will play the last piece (packet?) of the
stream. Odd.

On two other (much shorter) samples, oggenc went wild and filled the console just like Stephen reported. Guess I was
lucky.

What do you think? Could the problem be Winamp specific? I'm using v1.17d vorbis plugin for winamp.

-Joel