[vorbis] WinVC v0.91 released

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Sun Feb 10 02:46:24 PST 2002

On 2002-02-09, Ross Levis wrote:

> Michael Smith wrote:
>
> >Multiple lines are in the spec, and should definately be allowed - but
> >be warned that tools such as vorbiscomment will not deal appropriately with
> >them...
> >
> I've managed to do it fine with VorbisComment.
>
> Thanks,
> Ross.

That's strange, I'm pretty sure it can't be done :-)

I guess that you send the multi-line comment `TITLE=FOO<newline>BAR' to
vorbiscomment as two lines `TITLE=FOO<newline>TITLE=BAR'. This does work
but it utilizes a different feature!

The vorbis comment spec supports multiple comments with the same name and
each comment can consist of multiple lines:

PERFORMER=Foo Bar<newline>(the one who appeared at the Quux show)
PERFORMER=J. Random<newline>"Use Vorbis" is my favourite quote of him.

(the above usage of multiline comments to add info is not stardadly
accepted but possible; I don't know what people actually use
multi-line comments for; the usage of multiple comments of same name to
list several items/people is quite accepted).

vorbiscomment allows one to write many comments of same name but alows
each to be one line only!  If you want to support both you'll need to
tweak vorbiscomment (making it ugly) or give up using it.

Giving access to both features in a GUI is treaky anyway.  Multiple
comments of same name are probably more useful and your implementation of
them as a multi-line edit box is probably OK.  The only drawbnack is that
it confuses users that are aware of both features - does anybody have
better ideas?  Maybe allow separator horizontal lines in the edit box (I
know it's harder to implement), each text segment between separators is
one (possibly multi-line) comment, bind Enter to "insert separator" and
Ctrl-Enter to isert a newline (you'll need to show an explanation).  For
best results you'll need to add buttons/shortcuts to delete,duplicate,move
up/down segments...

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)

Best way to lose ~6GB music and other personal files: create a roaming
profile on another computer pointing to your My Documents instead of your
profile dir; logon - it won't find your settings; so logout - it will be
"saving your settings" very long time because it is busy deleting all
unrecognized things in your directory.  [Personally experienced on win2k].