[vorbis] compressed audio tutorial - "major" update

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Sat Feb 9 19:43:41 PST 2002

I've made a large update to the introduction to compressed audio.  I
completely rewrote the first section, which I wasn't happy with.  It now
features two diagrams (worth 1000 words each!), and is broken up into a
couple of sections.

http://cs.leander.isd.tenet.edu/~mitchell/vorbis_intro.html

I have also continued to tweak other sections based on feedback from email
and this forum.  All the feedback has been very helpful.

If you could all read at least the first two sections (the new ones).  Anyone
wanting nitty gritty on the other changes can see the version history at the
bottom.  Here is the list of what's been done since my last mention here:

        * modified end of "Just Say No to Bitrates" to clarify that Vorbis doesn't
          target any specific bitrate when quality settings are used.  Includes
          large verbatim quote from an email by Carsten Haese
        * capitalized section headers throughout
        * added final paragraph to "Transcoding" section
        * colloquial improvements: removed "folks" and first-person references
        * reworded a few sentences ending in prepositions
        * simplified sentence mentioning flac
        * put list of topics into introduction
        * changed "nearly 10 megabytes" to "approximately 10 megabytes"
        * wrong word in 2nd paragraph of "ABR/CBR/VBR" ("give" -> "gives")

By the way, the diagrams were my first try at making images in The GIMP, and
I couldn't figure out how to ensure the PNGs had transparent backgrounds.  If
they don't already, I'd appreciate some steps on how to do that.

By the way, the initial sine waves were generated using some very ugly Java
and then screen captured, touched up and labelled.

http://cs.leander.isd.tenet.edu/~mitchell/SineWave.java

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"REAL PROGRAMMERS don't write in BASIC.  Actually, no programmers