[vorbis] WinVC v0.91 released

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Feb 8 00:37:10 PST 2002

At 01:28 PM 2/8/02 +1300, you wrote:
>Carl-Eric Menzel wrote:
>
>   >One minor problem: A (configurable?) character replacement table is
>   >needed. Some of the song titles I have contain characters like for
>   >example "/", which can't be used in filenames. It would be nice to be
>   >able to have them mapped automatically to a fitting character when
>   >renaming (but still keeping them in the tags!).
>   >
>Yes, definately required.  At this stage I'll hard code invalid characters to
>one specific character, maybe an underscore '_'.  Any other preference?

You could take a look at the oggenc code if you want - it does this,
but configurably (with defaults for unix and win32 different), you can
give replacements, or choose to have characters simply deleted.
If your license is compatible, go ahead and use the code.

>I've also provided for multiple lines in the Comment tag as suggested.  I
>haven't provided for multiple lines in the user defined tags, however.  I
>guess I should but a one line memo field is not good practice & I'll have to
>reduce the number of tags to 4, which is rather limiting.  I quite like the 8
>extra tags all visible on the screen as it is now so I'll have to think on
>that one.

Multiple lines are in the spec, and should definately be allowed - but
be warned that tools such as vorbiscomment will not deal appropriately with
them due to limitations in the interface (i.e. it just has input/output as
plain text, with comments seperated by newlines).

Michael